Tuesday 11 November 2008

Derby Museum and Art Gallery

Derby Museum and Art Gallery is the museum that collected a wide range of important and attractive collections, covering porcelain, paintings, archaeology, history, local regiments, geology and wildlife. I think this museum have a good range of ages attraction like personal tour for kids, grown up local art exhibition.

I personally find Joseph Wright's work very inspiring because I started to realize and understanding about how to read self portrait. It was very interesting that self portrait is about allowing the artist to 'presenting him or herself to the world as what they would like to be perceived'. In a sense that they can be who ever they want to be by choose what wear, posture, facial expression and technique of painting. These are all 'present us visual clues about the artist'.

The first room I entered was the finest collection of Derby porcelain in the world, from different ages but most of them are from 18th century. I find there are more pots and plates displaying than sculpture, and I guess that because of that time they preferred porcelain to be useful and beautiful at the same time.

As I approach first floor I found Creative Thought section where they have collection of various artist based on recycling and organic theme. I see the creativity and good possibility in the future such as Silk Mill dress made from silk moth life cycle (made by Ida Agnusdei, staff from Derby university!), 'The weaved basket'; fine woven paper with print messages, 'The Print Frame'; images of moth, Derby maps, flower, sewing kit, etc.

My last destination I reached to the second floor in the large room of local photograph and art exhibition. I was festinated by photograph of 'What Colour is the Sun' by Paul and Angela Hill, I love so much I wanted to put them on my wall! I also found photograph of 'MOD sign' which I found the message very funny. I think art is not only about charm or beauty but it's the hint of artist's personality reflect on their work make me love them more! It's about what effected those artists at the time that make them speak out and create something that will make people see their point of view.

No comments: